Friday, June 29, 2012

fRecipe fRiday! (It's back...for now.)

It's been a while since I've tried to bake something new...and it's been even longer since I've done my recipe blog. 

Lately I've been fascinated by crepes.  They seem to be everywhere (in reality, I just know of one family who has opened a creperie.)  Either way, I decided to make my own crepes.

I found a pretty easy recipe online.  I thought crepe-making was going to be really difficult, but if you aren't set on perfection or high-quality crepes, it really isn't too hard.

So here's what you need:
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups of milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of butter (melted)
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons white sugar

First you'll want to whisk all of that in a largeish bowl until it's not very lumpy.

Then heat up a medium/large skillet on medium heat and grease it with some butter.  Not too much like this, though:
Because then your crepe won't even touch the bottom because all that butter is going to melt right to the bottom.  The after-math of that:
Thank you, Caleb, for drowning that skillet.
Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet once it's heated and try to tilt the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly.  I discovered tonight that my oven is tilted.  Here are some of the best artsy crepes, as designed by the stove:
Lovely.

Cook the crepes over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until light brown, then flip.  Treat them like pancakes, especially since this recipe makes them pancake consistency.

Most likely you'll want to add something else to make the crepes taste better.  My choice was strawberries and bananas!
Fill them with what you want!

Add powdered sugar, of course.
And there you have it.  Pretty tasty!

1 comment:

  1. I find that a thinner texture, letting the batter sit for about 30 minutes (in the refrigerator
    ), and non-stick spray help mine become crepe-tastic a little more easily.

    ReplyDelete