Sunday, July 29, 2012

Barton Bible Camp

This is the place to go when you’ve been having a bad year, a bad week, or just a bad attitude.  Barton can help clear that up real quick.

I always get nervous when I go into Barton because there are always so many new faces that mix in with the old.  It’s hard to give 60+ kids all the attention they need and deserve at church camp, but the counselors sure do try.

There are a lot of stories I could tell you about this week, but I’ll try to keep it short(ish.)

First, there’s one camper who just made me smile every time I saw him.  He got baptized that week, and won second place in the Bible Bowl (it’s like quiz bowl, but with Bible questions.) The look on his face when he won second was even more excited than the first place winner.  He was one of the sweetest kids I’ve met.

IMG_1808

There’s also always the Battle of the Barton, where kids take bottles of shaving cream and silly string and run around on a tarp covered in water and cooking oil.  Sound disgusting?  It is.  I had the chance to hold the water hose and hose off all the slimy kids when stuff got in their eyes.  It’s the most demanding job I’ve ever had.  Kids constantly yell your name and fling grossness on you.

IMG_1870IMG_1872

IMG_1876

Nasty.

There were quite a few baptisms that week, which was great!

IMG_1819IMG_1792

IMG_1822IMG_1829

Of course, the counselors were also fantastic (at least in my opinion.)  Friendships that started last year became stronger this year.  A few really helped me out without knowing it.

IMG_1901

IMG_1926IMG_1896IMG_1976

IMG_1742

IMG_1980

I wish I would have taken more pictures with more people, but…I didn’t.  I was glad to get to know these people better, and glad to spend time with old friends too.  Seriously though, at Barton, you can find the best friends you may ever have.  I sure have!

No comments:

Post a Comment