Friday, September 19, 2014

fRecipe fRiday: Homemade Twix Bars

Most of my time lately has been spent being domestic. Typical things, you know: cleaning, cooking, knitting, laundry, hitting up every social media site ever created, reading, budget-checking, binge-watching Netflix, etc.

Cooking more has really helped us stick to our new being-married budget. In college, eating out seemed to be a necessity to get by. But now I have time to cook, and even right this minute, I've got something in the crock-pot (but that's a fRecipe for next week, if it turns out well.)

This week, I made homemade Twix bars! Really, it was more of a homemade Twix sheet. The nice thing is, you can cut them into whatever size you want. I found this recipe via Pinterest (there's the link to the recipe I used.)

What you'll need:
Square pan, 8x8 or so
Aluminum foil
Stick of butter at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flour
10 oz caramels (I used a bag of Kraft caramels and guesstimated 10 ounces)
1 tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
8ish oz of milk chocolate

First things first, preheat the oven to 300 degrees, and line the pan with some aluminum foil. I buttered it down to grease it up, but you could just spray it with spray oil too.
All the things.
Next, in a bowl, beat together the sugar, vanilla, and butter. Add the flour and mix it all up, and then press your concoction evenly into the pan. Prick the crust with a fork a few times, and then put it in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until it's looking nice and golden.
Pre-cooking. I had a rough time pricking the crust; it makes me really anxious.
Cool that crust, and before it gets cool, be sure to loosen the edges from the foil by running a knife around it.

Put the caramels and cream in a bowl together and melt it slowly in the microwave. I'm talking, every 20 seconds, open the door and stir it a bit. Once that's smooth, pour it over the crust and even it all out.

Oooo so shiny.
Stick that in the fridge for about 30 minutes (or about as long as it takes you to watch one sitcom on Netflix.)

Now you'll melt your chocolate. Again, it can be in the microwave, but be sure to stir it every now and then. When it's melted down, pour the chocolate over the caramel, and then spread it all to the edges.

I let this sit (covered) in the fridge overnight so that when I wanted to eat it, it'd be completely set.

And, of course I forgot to take a picture of the complete finished product, because, honestly, I was too busy eating it to worry about photos. And you will be too hopefully!

One of the last pieces...It looks a little rough because I am not good at knives.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! And it is a big switch from eating out a ton for school to having time to actually cook. I went through all of that last year as well. :)

    ReplyDelete