Friday, October 10, 2014

fRecipe fRiday: Cowboy Casserole

A few weeks ago, I thought I should probably break out one of my big-kid wedding gifts, a nice sleek Crock Pot. And, after pinning this post, I figured at least one of the recipes would work.

That led me to Cowboy Casserole. It sounded pretty perfect, with vegetables and meat and cheese and stuff that I already had in my pantry. So without further ado, here is my slightly tweaked Cowboy Casserole.

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cavender's
5 red potatoes, sliced thin like potato chips
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 can diced tomatoes (don't drain)
1 cup canned corn
1 can kidney beans
1 cup shredded cheese

So after you've acquired all of the ingredients in the proper format, you dump them all (except the cheese) into the (somewhat large...4-6 quart) Crock Pot and stir.

Cover that and cook on low for 7-8 hours (how I did it) or on high for 4 hours (alternate quicker version). Once you hit the end of the time, uncover the casserole and sprinkle the cheese on. Recover and let it cook for 30 more minutes.

Sure, it looks a little gross, but it's pretty tasty.
And then there you have it, the casserole is all done. (I forgot to take a photo with the cheese on it, sorry!) Boy, it makes more than enough for two people. Four people could probably demolish the casserole with some to spare. We had leftovers for two days!

Try it out sometime, especially if you're getting used to a new Crock Pot!

1 comment: