Saturday, January 17, 2015

Photography Challenge Week 2 || New to Me

This week was a half cold, half warm one, and of course the day that I actually went out to take pictures was a very, very cold day because I'm really good at planning ahead.

But really, the reason I went out that day was so I could see the legendary Trumpeter Swans my birder friend had told me about (Other challenge: I am trying to see 100 birds in-state in one year). While I was there, I saw loads of grebes, ducks, and geese, but no swans. At one point, I saw a distant Canada Goose fly into the woods (hey I just saw that movie) and I snapped two quick pictures before I headed back to the car.

But when I got home and pulled up the photos, I zoomed in and noticed the Canada Goose had a very yellow beak...and a really long tail. So, after consulting said birder friend, I realized I had finally seen my first Bald Eagle and didn't even know it.

Gotta be honest though, it was still really exciting. I've always wanted to see one and I used to (okay, I still do) get really angry when people point up at a Turkey Vulture and say, "Look, a Bald Eagle!" And yes, that used to happen a lot.

Anyway, this week my two photos are two things that are new to me: a Bald Eagle, and a lake that is half-frozen!

THERE HE IS! That really tiny speck!

I promise that half of this picture is ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment