Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Memories I Thought I Made Up (Titanic Edition)

When I was a kid, Titanic came out.  1998 is when I believe I saw it the first time…so I was at the young, impressionable age of six.

I had already grown up watching Leonardo DiCaprio in Growing Pains, and when he wore those cute little poor boy clothes in Titanic, I fell in like.  

Leonardo-Dicaprio-growing-pains-cast   Leonardo_DiCaprio_titanic_(2)

Now for the good part.

Many of you may remember the legendary ballad “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion.  Oh, you don’t?  Go ahead, click play and listen as you read.

You’re welcome.  Anyway, as you may know, Leonardo’s character in Titanic was named Jack.  I liked Jack, so when I sang this song, I would sing it to him.  My brother cranked up his boom box, popped his Celine Dion tape in, and as I laid in bed at night, I sang along, whispering “JACK” after every line.  Just to make sure Jack knew that I was a much better choice of girl than dumb Rose, and I would have totally let him share my floating door in the ocean.  And that I could have rocked out a blue sapphire and diamond necklace with my stick on nails better than Rose ever could have.

No one heard me since I was talking to Jack, or so I thought.

The other day, I told this story to my brother, sister-in-law and boyfriend while we were out at yogurt, thinking everyone would get a giggle out of it.  They did.  The only problem was my brother saying, “I REMEMBER THAT!"  There I was, thinking that my memory was a lonely one, or one that maybe I had made up and thought was real.  Nope, I really did that as a child.

I guess having to share a room with my brother had its consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment