Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm Getting Old!

I've only been alive for 19 short years. I personally think that I am not old, dated, or out-of-touch with youth these days. However, I find that youth these days are WAY out of touch with...well, my generation.

Exhibit A)
Every night at camp, a group of counselors serve dinner to the 11-14 year olds. One night when I was helping, we decided to sing songs that we all knew to them.

Song #1: Tearin' Up My Heart - NSYNC

Song #2: Everybody - Backstreet Boys

Song #3: Don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

Song #4: Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

Now, maybe it is just me, but these songs are kind of really popular! NSYNC and BSB had it pretty big in the 90's-00's. And the other two songs get played all the time on radio stations and Glee!

Well, not a single kid knew the songs we were singing. We got quite a few odd looks and we didn't know why until we realized that those songs had come out the years that the kids were born!

Exhibit B)
Taboo is a fun game where you basically play charades, but with words, no movement. On a game night, I was in charge of the Taboo table. In the first round, a few of the words the kids pulled out were "Garfield," "Arnold Shwarzenegger," and "Shaquille O'Neal." And all of these words...they did not know.

I remember when the first kid pulled out Shaquille O'Neal and looked up at me with big blue eyes asking who it was. I just stared back at him. "Seriously? The 7 foot basketball player? Really?"

"No ma'am I don't know what a Shaquille is."

Oh dear.

I suppose that the older I get the more out of it I will be with my pop culture knowledge. I just didn't expect it to start this early!!

No comments:

Post a Comment