Friday, December 16, 2011

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar

Thursday was, as much as I hate to say it, an emotional roller coaster.

I woke up, and in my sleepiness, accidentally turned off my computer while it was still updating. Normally when I do this on purpose, nothing bad happens. However, this time, my computer would not turn on all the way.

I took a 45 minute nap to give it time to think about what it had done and fix itself. (Because what else could I possibly do for a long time? Study? Pah!)

That did not work, so I took my computer to the RFC house to do some research on the computers there. The only reasonable answer to my solution was given by a human (who was also not studying at that time.) We deemed it most responsible to take my computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

I was really excited. I knew that Geek Squad could fix my computer. I mean, they installed my truck's stereo, so why would they fail me here?

I then took a full two-hour all-essay World Lit final.

I was very irritable when I left to take in my computer. Caleb suggested I eat food before I go, but nooo, I had to get my darling computer in to the Geek Squad. When I got to the front door of Best Buy, I completely forgot everything I had planned out to say to the Geek in charge.

I waited for about 10 minutes, and a guy with a soul patch came to help me. I put my computer on the counter and said, "My computer won't turn on all the way." He asked how it would turn on, and I told him. He proceeded to turn it on and see exactly what I told him. So I told him how it probably happened (my accidental turn off of the computer that morning.)

"Yeah mmm they have those warnings there for a reason. *nerdy, non-endearing chuckle* You've probably corrupted all of your files now mmmm. What you're going to have to do is order back up disks from Dell because you probably didn't set up back ups yourself mmm. That is probably your cheapest option."

What I should have said:
"Ehh my gosh like THAT is what those warnings are for? Tehehe I mean I thought I could like totally do what I wanted whenever I wanted. That totally makes sense what you are saying, will you please carry me away on your segway my knight in shining armour?!"

What I actually did:
Silently walked out of the store crying while clutching my computer.

And then....

I flung open my apartment door and swooped into my room, where I promptly pulled out, not one, but TWO BACK UP DISKS I HAD CREATED WHEN I FIRST GOT MY COMPUTER!!! I grabbed my starter manual, followed the directions, and I reinstalled every setting and feature onto my computer. All. By. Myself. That's right. This little girlie can work her way around a computer, Patchy.

But then I realized that none of my old files, like music and the photographs I had taken over the past two years, were on my computer. After about an hour of freak-out, I finally snooped far enough into my computer to find the back up files I had stored on my hard drive. (I am sounding great right about now, no?) And do you know what I did then? I dragged those files into their new home.

All. By. Myself, Patchy.

So, in the words of Helen Reddy and my mother, "I am woman, hear me roar!"

No comments:

Post a Comment